Saturday, November 05, 2005

a lament on technology...

geez... i never thought the day would come to say this... but to my venerable PIII 733, that has been with me since those sec 3 days of CS, red alert 2 and the early days of warcraft 3... you're completely obsolete now my old friend.

i've always thought... ya know, the 733 will last me a good while. even when my younger sis got a 1.4gig and i got my 1.7gig rig that i use for gaming, i told myself, i won't write off this old battleaxe. never. firstly, all my old junk is in there. mp3s... movie files... photos... when a hard drive has been with you for so long, you'll understand why. secondly, it's linked up to the net, and for all the power of the new rig, the wireless has never worked, leaving the good ol' datamini to carry out the duty of chatting. thirdly, being in the family hall with the cable box definitely helps improve the amount of usage it got.

but after tapping on my lappy for so long, especially now with a working wireless that allows me to hide here in my room with impunity (and with air con... =), my poor old datamini has finally shown its age. i'm loathe to admit it but i've been spoilt by technology. i'm a firm believer in the theory of "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" and whiney my 733 maybe, it sure hasn't broken down completely yet. it does things so slowly, and, running on win 98, many functions and programs are starting to be phased out of reach of my dear old dog. i hate spending money that doesn't need to spent when it comes to expensive stuff like 'puters... but the ancient one, like all dogs, has had its day. guess i'll hafta start preparing and clearing out my stuff from there...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home