Tuesday, April 24, 2007

we'll tell you a story...

does anyone else remember that show? it was a show from the 70s though. guess mom recorded it ages before anyone my age or younger could register anything.

spending time with the niece has made me re-discover another part of my childhood that i had almost forgotten about. i remember slotting in tape after tape to watch those shows. the guy, christopher lillicrap, who did the show was so talented, cos he could sing, play the guitar, read, act... basically a great storyteller and host. especially because i loved the theme song...

if you like to sing songs
and you like to hear rhymes
if you want join in
and have a real good time

or maybe hear a tale that you never heard before

we'll tell you a story
we'll tell you a story
we'll tell you a story
that's what we're here for


fortunately for jillian, she won't have to do any tape swapping (since we're all doing it for her anyway) since she has them all nicely digitised to dvds for her. it's actually quite fun watching these old kids shows with her, though she probably doesn't pay as much attention as i do. some of the old shows that i didn't really like watching then are actually more palatable to an older me. there was one show called gather round, and it was really neat cos the artist would illustrate the story as the narrator told it. well, not the entire story, since that would be really crazy. but still, it was really impressive because the art was so nice. compared to the trashy kids shows of today that try too hard to be like sesame street.

makes me wish i was a kid again...

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Any chance of some of us who remember the series getting their hands on copies of these dvds?

8:31 pm  
Blogger greg said...

i wish i knew... these are copies from the tapes that my mom used to tape down for us... and i have no idea who did the dvds and they contain a mishmash of other series from that era as well.

3:16 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Greg, any chance you could share your videos via a link for me?
You can't imagine that its Christopher's song that started me whistling this morning, and you have no idea that I am a Nigerian and this collection was part of my childhood.
I would so appreciate it for my kids as well.

Thanks in advance.
Nnenna

4:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home