Sunday, April 08, 2007

an easter vigil tale

wow. attending my first easter vigil at st mary's last year was a first for me. didn't jot my thoughts down about it though. this year though, my role and location were changed. remember the earlier post about my vigil reading? i'm glad to say everything went smoothly despite some hiccups during the final preparation session before the vigil itself.

i reached olps at 6 for the session at st mike's room and i was the third one there with jerome and mrs isaac getting there ahead of me. when we stepped into the room, what initially seemed like good fortune was that someone had left the aircon on before us. while it was a real waste of electricity, i wasn't complaining since it meant the room was already cool.

jerome went through his reading with mrs isaac first, and he did a really good job. at the same time, i felt like i was ready. i'd been practising hard for it, and i thought that i had gotten everything right. i even thought that i might have had the answer to what peter and stephen thought was missing from my proclamation. but i guess someone had other plans for me.

as it came to my turn, mrs isaac had to point out bits that i had thought were alright previously that weren't entirely right. the last thing i wanted was to make changes when i had more or less settled in my mind what i wanted to do. i wasn't entirely nervous yet, but the doubt started to creep in. i wasn't sure if i was capable of playing with the words as well as she could, because i'm not as comfy with intonations and inflexions she was asking for. and with 4 readers before me, i started to realise the pressure that was on me to be as good as they were to keep the flow going.

the aircon didn't help me either at this point. my hands were freezing. even when i did my second run and was given mrs isaac's stamp of approval that i had earned my place there, i started to wonder what would happen up on the ambo. would i do my reading justice? would i be as good as the others before me?

when we went into the church, my hands were still ice cold, thought i had some consolation that my reading was really meant to be segmented unlike how i had been practising it before. when the vigil started with the service of light, i was desperately trying to warm my hands up with the candle when it was lit. to no avail. the church was packed and i was really wondering what would happen to me up there.

but somehow, something happened.

when my turn came, i was calm. i don't know how and why, but when i stepped out of the pew, time seemed to stop and everything inside me quitened down. the pressure was gone. even after soaking in all the beautiful readings done by the first four. and everything just clicked into gear. and i read with an awareness of what i wanted to do and had been taught to do. i was back in the zone, and catching the glances from the others definitely encouraged as i set about my task: to proclaim.

when i stepped down and retook my place at the pew, i realised that my hands were warm once again as the others gave me a handshake and a thumbs up. the icy coldness had left my hands completely. i felt at peace.

the others after me did a fantastic job as well and i'm glad we all did well in our individual readings. it felt great to be part of a team and to have done my own bit for the team as well. there's no better feeling than to serve the Lord in one's fullest capacity, and i'm really glad to be where i am at now.

happy easter everyone. christ is risen.

God bless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home