Thursday, September 13, 2007

reliving my childhood...

a lot of people point to my transformers collection to say that i'm always reliving my childhood. well, to a certain extent, they're right. transformers do span a long way back for me, but i only seriously remember them from (horrors, horrors for the G1 purists!) the G2 era when i was in primary 3, 4. which was sparked off because of my dinosaur craze from jurassic park and fate conspired to bring the dinobots to my dinosaur-seeking attention.

my earliest brushes with transformers went earlier and were much much more superficial and were only because of one thing: fighter planes.

yeah, i loved planes and 'copters when i was a kid. when most boys were content with cars, i took a higher plane of interest, no pun intended (though the wordplay there is really some really wicked stuff. haha...). i loved my toy soldiers, tanks, trucks and aircraft. while i lost my interest in civillian planes after a while (since most of them look the same anyway and had no guns), i've always had a thing for flying vehicles. if you asked me to pick one as my favourite, i simply couldn't give you a straight answer. from the caricature naval fighter (and now sadly retired) F-14 tomcat to the odd but strangely intriguing looking, tank busting and twin external engine A-10 thunderbolt II (or warthog) to the world war 2 classics like the supermarine spitfire, the P-38 lightning and the F-4U corsair, i could list many more.


i made no secret of my love for the F-14 a while back, but these other planes aren't spared any love either. somehow i've always been fascinated with planes that didn't conform to a traditional style of aeroframe, as evidenced by the lightning and A-10. and now that i'm older and have access to stuff like wikipedia, reading the history and records of these old favourites of mine makes more sense to me now and i can appreciate better the history and design features of the aircraft. not to mention stories that just show how those design features came into play in a real life situation, like how an A-10 survived a tremendous amount of damage in iraq from heavy flak and still made it back to base with one fully functional engine.

looking at these graceful warbirds just makes me feel like a kid again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home